Pre-Install Hardware Checklist¶
This is the minimum hardware that must be acquired to install SecureDrop:
- 2 computers with memory and hard drives to use as the SecureDrop servers.
- Mouse, keyboard, monitor (and necessary dongle or adapter) for installing the servers.
- At least 2 dedicated physical computers that can boot to Tails: one computer for the Secure Viewing Station, and one or more computers for the Admin Workstation(s)/Journalist Workstation(s).
- Dedicated airgapped hardware for the mouse, keyboard, and monitor (only if you are using a desktop for the Secure Viewing Station).
- Network firewall.
- At least 3 ethernet cables.
- Plenty of USB sticks: 1 drive for the master Tails stick, 1 drive for each Secure Viewing Station, 1 drive for each Transfer Device, 1 drive for each Export Device, and 1 drive for each admin and journalist.
Additionally, you may want to consider the following purchases:
- a printer without wireless network support, to use in combination with the Secure Viewing Station.
- an external hard drive to expand the storage capacity of the Secure Viewing Station.
- an external hard drive for server backups.
- a USB drive to store backups of your Tails workstation drives.
- a network switch, if you use a firewall with fewer than four ports.
- a security key for HOTP authentication, such as a YubiKey, if you want to use hardware-based two-factor authentication instead of a mobile app.
- a USB drive with a physical write protection switch, or a USB write blocker, if you want to mitigate the risk of introducing malware from your network to your Secure Viewing Station during repeated use of an Export Device.
- CD-R/DVD-R writers, if you want to use CD-Rs/DVD-Rs as transfer or export media, and a CD shredder that can destroy media consistent with your threat model.